Pop quiz. When it comes to Christmas, do you prefer classic tradition or cutting-edge style? Answer the questions below and, if you discover you lean towards cutting-edge style (or want to!), read on to discover divine Christmas decoration ideas you will be unable to resist.
1. Will you and your family be enjoying a traditional dinner (think roast turkey, roast veges, brandy pudding) and pulling store-bought crackers?
2. Will you and your family be opening presents wrapped in all different types of gift paper from under a green tree that’s been decorated with old family heirlooms?
3. Will the outside of your home be donned with coloured fairy lights and the inside decorated with tinsel?
4. Will you, your family and a group of friends come over for lunch, each bringing a plate (think seafood, salads, cold cuts) and pulling a hand-crafted cracker featuring original toys handpicked by you?
5. Will you and your family be opening presents wrapped in colour coordinated gift paper from under a silver tree featuring decorations that perfectly complement your living room decor?
6. Will the inside and the outside of your home sparkle with plain white fairy lights?
If you answered more from 4, 5, 6 than 1, 2 and 3, the ideas below will no doubt delight and inspire. We explore Christmas colour palettes; how to use red and green without overdoing it; how to transform pinecones into glamorous centrepieces; items to include on a table setting; and quirky ways to spread holiday cheer.
Christmas Colour Palettes
While there is absolutely nothing wrong with decorating your home in traditional reds and greens, if you truly love mixing it up at Christmas time, don’t be afraid to be different. If you don’t want to buy a new tree, instead buy decorations to match your current interior decor (e.g. to match your cushions).
Alternatively, invest in a new tree. To create a white Christmas, buy a white tree. Or do something edgy and build a black and white Christmas nook.
Spoil yourself with a Christmas canvas print that truly exudes contemporary style or DIY together natural fabrics and fibres to create a warm, rustic ambience.
1. Pastel perfection
‘Snowflakes’ by Wall Art Prints
2. Winter whites
3. Monochrome magic
By Heart Handmade UK
4. Rustic reindeer
By El Pais De Satzah
Red And Green That Can Be Seen
We’re not saying red and green is bad. We’re just saying that it’s tempting to overuse it. Here are some ideas on how to embrace tradition (stars, santa, trees) without causing too much of a fuss. Also, stylish doesn’t have to mean boring. For proof, check out the santa cushion and the dancing tree!
5. Modern interpretations
Green Stars by Wall Art Prints
6. Berry joy
By Seventh And J
7. Fun dancing tree
8. Cute, cuddly cushion
By Comforts Of Home Decor
Turn Pinecones Into Glamorous Art
It’s amazing what a bit of coloured spray paint can achieve. Transform the simple pinecone into a stunning work of art, simply with a lick of paint. Or skip to #11 to see how even a basic bow can create a flashy tree decoration.
9. Fireplace bouquet
10. Blue, gold and nature at the table
By The Family Handyman
11. Simple but stunning pinecone with bow
12. Pink painted pinecones
By Shabby Fufu
Treats For Your Table
Christmas isn’t just for the rich. Whether you have a lot or a little, it’s easy to get into the Christmas spirit. Get those birthday lolly jars out of the cupboard and surprise visitors with sweets galore. A few strategically placed candles and baubles will add something special to a room.
13. Sweet and silver surprises
14. Glitter balls
15. Calming candles to bring good will
Quirky Goodies To Spread Holiday Cheer
Christmas is for everyone – children, families and lovers. This year, spread the holiday cheer. Check out this amazing chalkboard wonderland, this clever, crafty gift shelf and – last but not least – a lavish display of love.
16. Children’s chalkboard
17. Tree shaped gift shelves
By Alexander Breeze from House And Garden
18. Elegance and romance
By Home White Home
So many ideas. So little time. Here’s to stepping outside the red and green square this Christmas and creating a magical world where dreams of peace, love and goodwill really do come true.